07 January 2006

Crablog

Well, tonight I checked on the little one that was buried with the wet looking spot around it. We've suspected that it was Squirt but weren't sure. It was. Squirt has been buried there since about 2 weeks after we got them and when I noticed the wet spot I thought it was just water from the shell. Well, since I have had the insulation around the tank I really haven't looked into that corner much because I have to take it down to do it. Anyway, I spoke to Vicki last night about it and she asked if it had moved any and it really didn't look like it so she said that this is one case where I should actually dig down to a buried crab. I did and when I picked up the shell, the body fell out in pieces. There was also no smell at all so that tells me that it's been there dead for some time. Probably when we originally saw the wet spot. It's sad, poor Squirt. When I talked to Vicki tonight we figured it was probably PPS that did it, just too much stress from being plucked from some sunny beach and then shipped to the pet store. Poor Squirt, RIP little one.

After the Squirt episode I decided to change around the tank a bit, the pictures are below. I think it looks a little neater and has a little more manuevering room for them. The second level that I built fell apart so I canned that. Next time it will definately be worth investing in a little aquarium sealant for that instead of the hot glue gun. We put up a little corner thing with suction cups and put in some moist moss in there to help with the humidity and I understand the crabs love to hang out in it. Vicki tells me that her micro Es LOVE being in the moss. I hope my Ruggies like it too.

1 Comments:

At 25 January, 2006 11:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sorry to hear about Squirt.

Your tank does look great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home